Parents are More Concerned About Teen Drug Use in the 21st Century
It is fully within parents’ nature to worry about their kids. That just comes with the job. Whether their kids are toddlers or tots, teens or adults, parents hold worry in their hearts, concern in their minds, and a constant feeling for how their children are doing and where they are at in life. As the times change and as the difficulties that taunt our country change, so do the feelings of worry that parents have for their kids.
The Top Five Concerns that Parents have for their Kids
Every year, the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital does a research project to determine the top, most concerning feelings that parents have for their kids. Every year it changes as the difficulties our nation faces change. In this article, we’ll take a brief glance at the top five concerns and examine how drug abuse plays a role in parental concern for their kids:
- For three years in a row now, childhood obesity has been the number one, top concern for parents. Obesity can create problems for children in the here and now, and obesity can create problems for kids later on in life. It is doubly concerning because it is a present, right here and right now concern but it also bodes poorly for the coming years.
- For three years in a row, bullying has held the number two place in the severity of parental concern. This will likely drop to third or fourth place in the coming years, but parents are still very concerned about bullying. Kids who are the victims of bullying often turn to substance use to cope with the emotional and psychological tax of being on the losing end of a bullying scenario.
- Drug use has been number three on the list for two years, having climbed rapidly to this position in the years prior to that. Parents are very concerned about drug use in their kids no matter the age of those kids. Drug use often results in a painful and sad death. If not, it results in an addiction that ruins a person’s current and future life both, no matter their age.
- Internet safety jumped to the fourth place from the eight place in just one year. It is a subject that parents are very concerned about as the internet expands and continues to host content that parents might not want their kids to see. Internet safety is particularly concerning as kids of all ages can easily buy drugs online, a new trend in the 21st century.
- Coming in at fifth place, parents are very concerned about child abuse and neglect, which is another factor that is often present in drug abuse scenarios. Much like drug abuse, child abuse and neglect can have a lasting and permanent effect on children, changing them and harming them significantly.
Keeping Kids of All Ages Safe
The above items are just a brief glimpse at the many things that parents worry about. The full list is much longer than that. Parents worry that, in modern day society, their kids will be exposed to things that could harm them or even seriously hurt them physically and mentally.
We can’t do anything about how much parents worry about their kids. That is just the very nature of life itself. However, we can make efforts to consciously protect our kids from the above problems.
In the above examples, even though drug abuse is number three, several of the other items often relate back to some form of substance abuse. Parents need to have several discussions and educational sessions with their kids about the negative effects of drug use throughout their kids’ upbringing, all in an effort to ensure their kids learn not to abuse drugs and alcohol. Substance abuse is often the common denominator in many of the problems that teens and young adults face. It is worth our attention to address it fully.